Pachulia with the Atlanta Hawks in 2008
|No. 27 – Dallas Mavericks|
February 10, 1984 |
Tbilisi, Georgian SSR, Soviet Union
|Listed height||6 ft 11 in (2.11 m)|
|Listed weight||275 lb (125 kg)|
|NBA draft||2003 / Round: 2 / Pick: 42nd overall|
|Selected by the Orlando Magic|
|Stats at NBA.com|
|Stats at Basketball-Reference.com|
Zaza Pachulia (Georgian: ზაზა ფაჩულია; February 10, 1984) is a Georgian professional basketball player for the Dallas Mavericks of the National Basketball Association (NBA). He was born as Zaur Pachulia, but his first name was legally changed to Zaza.
Pachulia was a very successful basketball player at a very early age in Georgia. He was approximately 6 feet 8 inches (2.03 meters) at the age of 13. He was scouted and recruited by the Turkish professional team Ülkerspor when he was a teenager. He became a member of the Georgian junior national basketball team at a young age, leading them at center to beat other Eastern European rivals, such as Belarus and Bulgaria.
Once he distinguished himself with Ülkerspor, Pachulia was drafted in the second round by the Orlando Magic during the 2003 NBA draft. After being selected in the 2004 expansion draft by the Charlotte Bobcats, he was traded to the Milwaukee Bucks where he played the 2004–05 season. While with the Bucks, Pachulia averaged 6.2 points and 5.1 rebounds per game off the bench.
Pachulia signed a contract with the Atlanta Hawks in the 2005 off-season and became the Hawks' starting center, when he averaged 11.7 points and 7.9 rebounds per game during the 2005–06 season. He began as the starting center during the 2006–07 season but later came off the bench. An on-court altercation between the relatively obscure Pachulia and Celtics star Kevin Garnett led one writer to dub Pachulia "Balboa" after the lead character from the Rocky series of movies. Pachulia re-signed with the Hawks on July 13, 2009, agreeing to a multi-year contract.
On July 17, 2013, Pachulia signed with the Milwaukee Bucks. On March 20, 2015, he recorded 22 points and 21 rebounds in a 127-129 overtime loss to the Brooklyn Nets. His 21 rebounds included 18 offensive rebounds, which marked an NBA season-high and a Milwaukee Bucks franchise record.
On July 9, 2015, Pachulia was traded to the Dallas Mavericks in exchange for a future second-round pick. He made his debut for the Mavericks in the team's season opener against the Phoenix Suns on October 28, recording a double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds in a 111–95 win. On December 26, he recorded his 16th double-double of the season with 17 points and 12 rebounds against the Chicago Bulls, surpassing his 2014–15 season total. On January 12, 2016, he recorded his 20th double-double of the season, and the 100th in his career, with 14 points and 12 rebounds in a 110–107 overtime loss to the Cleveland Cavaliers. Later that month, he came within 14,227 votes of knocking out San Antonio Spurs small forward Kawhi Leonard for a starting spot on the West All-Star team for the 2016 NBA All-Star Game. On February 3, he recorded 10 points and 15 rebounds against the Miami Heat for his career-best 22nd double-double of the season. His previous best was 21 double-doubles set with Atlanta in 2005–06.
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
- Hawks Sign Zaza Pachulia, Aug. 11, 2005; article retrieved March 21, 2007
- Zaza Pachulia. NBA.com.
- "Atlanta Hawks: If NBA lockout lingers, Zaza Pachulia may play in Turkey".
- Bobcats Acquire Draft Picks In Two Trades
- HAWKS: Everything You Need To Know About...Hawks vs Celtics | Game 6 | May 2, 2008
- "HAWKS SIGN MIKE BIBBY, ZAZA PACHULIA". NBA.com. 2009-07-13. Retrieved 2011-04-24.
- Galatasaray brings in Zaza Pachulia
- Bucks Sign Free Agent Center Zaza Pachulia
- Lopez, Nets pull out 3-overtime victory over slumping Bucks
- "Mavericks Acquire center Zaza Pachulia from Bucks". NBA.com. July 9, 2015. Retrieved July 14, 2015.
- "8 Dallas players reach double figures, Mavs rout Suns 111-95". NBA.com. October 28, 2015. Retrieved October 28, 2015.
- "Barea hits career-high 7 3s, Mavericks top Bulls 118-111". NBA.com. December 26, 2015. Retrieved December 27, 2015.
- "LeBron has 27, Cavs win 8th in row, 110-107 over Mavs in OT". NBA.com. January 12, 2016. Retrieved January 13, 2016.
- Duffy, Thomas (January 21, 2016). "Mavs C Zaza Pachulia Was 14K Votes Away from Being All-Star Starter". BleacherReport.com. Retrieved January 22, 2016.
- "Wade's bounce-back, Bosh's 20 lead Heat over Mavericks 93-90". NBA.com. February 3, 2016. Retrieved February 4, 2016.
- Career statistics and player information from NBA.com, or Basketball-Reference.com
- Pachulia's official website
- Zaza Pachulia at euroleague.net
Return to Fuhz Home - This article covering Zaza Pachulia is enhanced for the visually impaired.
The text of this Fuhz article is released under the GNU Free Documentation License