Norwegian Agency for Development Cooperation
|Norwegian Agency for Development Cooperation (Norad)|
|Formed||1 December 19681|
|Jurisdiction||Government of Norway|
|Headquarters||Ruseløkkveien 26, Oslo, Norway|
|Annual budget||26.2 billion kroner|
|Agency executive||Villa Kulild, Director|
|Parent agency||Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs|
Not to be confused with the North American Aerospace Defense Command, also abbreviated NORAD.
The Norwegian Agency for Development Cooperation (Norad) is a directorate under the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Its task is to ensure effective foreign aid, with quality assurance and evaluation. Norad both finances NGOs, and does its own research and projects. The current director general is Villa Kulild. Norad used to be the official development assistance organization in Norway. As of mid-2004, the responsibility for state-to-state official development assistance has been transferred to the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, while Norad continues to fund NGO activities in developing countries, contributes to the management of development funds and endeavours to ensure that the Norwegian development cooperation is evaluated and efficient.
NORAD consists of the following sections:
- Department for Environment and Private Sector Development
- The Department of Rights, Agents of Change and Civil Society
- The Department of Social Development and Service Delivery
- The Department of Governance and Macroeconomics
- The Department for Quality Assurance
- Department of Evaluation
- Information Department
- Department of Human Resources and Administration
- Department of Energy(Oil for Development, Clean Energy for Development)
For 2012, Norway's government has allocated Norwegian kroner 27.8 billion for development aid.2 Norway allocates a higher percentage of GDP (just over 1%) to development aid than any other country in the world.
- Endringshistorie for Direktoratet for utviklingssamarbeid
- Bjørgulv Braanen (2012-03-09). "Bistand". Klassekampen (in Norwegian).
Return to Fuhz Home - This article covering Norwegian International Development Agency is enhanced for the visually impaired.
The text of this Fuhz article is released under the GNU Free Documentation License