List of films considered the best
|This list needs additional citations for verification. (November 2008)|
While there is no general agreement upon the greatest film, many publications and organizations have tried to determine the films considered the best. Each film listed here has been mentioned in a notable survey, whether a popular poll, or a poll among film reviewers. Many of these sources focus on American films or were polls of English-speaking film-goers, but those considered the greatest within their respective countries are also included here. Many films are widely considered among the best ever made, whether they appear at #1 on each list or not. For example, many believe that Orson Welles' Citizen Kane is the best movie ever made, and it appears as #1 on AFI's Best Movies list, whereas The Shawshank Redemption is #1 on the IMDB Top 250, whilst Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back is #1 on the Empire magazine's Top 301 List.
None of the surveys that produced these citations should be viewed as a scientific measure of the film-watching world. Each may suffer the effects of vote stacking or skewed demographics. Internet-based surveys have a self-selected audience of unknown participants. The methodology of some surveys may be questionable. Sometimes (as in the case of the American Film Institute) voters were asked to select films from a limited list of entries.
- 1 Critics and filmmakers
- 2 Audience polls
- 3 Particular genres or media
- 3.1 Action
- 3.2 Animation
- 3.3 Christmas
- 3.4 Comedy
- 3.5 Comic book/superhero
- 3.6 Courtroom
- 3.7 Crime/gangster
- 3.8 Disaster
- 3.9 Documentary
- 3.10 Epic
- 3.11 Fantasy
- 3.12 High school
- 3.13 Horror/Monsters/Thriller
- 3.14 Musical
- 3.15 Mystery
- 3.16 Political/historical
- 3.17 Propaganda
- 3.18 Religious
- 3.19 Romance
- 3.20 Science fiction
- 3.21 Sports
- 3.22 War
- 3.23 Western
- 4 Countries
- 4.1 Afghanistan
- 4.2 Antigua and Barbuda
- 4.3 Argentina
- 4.4 Aruba
- 4.5 Australia
- 4.6 Bangladesh
- 4.7 Belgium
- 4.8 Brazil
- 4.9 Canada
- 4.10 Czech Republic
- 4.11 Chile
- 4.12 China
- 4.13 Croatia
- 4.14 Denmark
- 4.15 Egypt
- 4.16 Estonia
- 4.17 Finland
- 4.18 France
- 4.19 Germany
- 4.20 Hong Kong
- 4.21 Hungary
- 4.22 Iceland
- 4.23 India
- 4.24 Iran
- 4.25 Ireland
- 4.26 Israel
- 4.27 Italy
- 4.28 Japan
- 4.29 Latvia
- 4.30 Macedonia
- 4.31 Mali
- 4.32 Malta
- 4.33 Mexico
- 4.34 Netherlands
- 4.35 New Zealand
- 4.36 Norway
- 4.37 Pakistan
- 4.38 Philippines
- 4.39 Poland
- 4.40 Romania
- 4.41 Russia
- 4.42 Serbia
- 4.43 Singapore
- 4.44 Slovakia
- 4.45 Slovenia
- 4.46 South Africa
- 4.47 South Korea
- 4.48 Spain
- 4.49 Sri Lanka
- 4.50 Sweden
- 4.51 Taiwan
- 4.52 Turkey
- 4.53 Ukraine
- 4.54 United Kingdom
- 4.55 United States
- 5 See also
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Critics and filmmakers
Sight & Sound poll
Every decade, the British film magazine Sight & Sound asks an international group of film professionals to vote for the greatest film of all time. The Sight & Sound accolade has come to be regarded as one of the most important of the "greatest ever film" lists. The American film critic Roger Ebert described it as "by far the most respected of the countless polls of great movies—the only one most serious movie people take seriously."1
- Citizen Kane (1941) by Orson Welles was voted #1 in the five Sight & Sound critics' polls from 1962 to 2002.2 A separate Sight & Sound poll of established film directors, held for the first time in 1992, also placed Citizen Kane at the top in 1992 and 2002.2
- Bicycle Thieves (1948) by Vittorio De Sica topped the first Sight & Sound critics' poll, in 1952. It also came #7 in 1962 and #6 in 2002.2 It also came #10 in the 2012 directors' poll.3
- Tokyo Story (1953) by Yasujirō Ozu topped the Sight & Sound directors' poll in 2012, dethroning Citizen Kane.3 Tokyo Story also appeared in the Sight & Sound critics' poll at third place in 1992, fifth in 2002, and third in 2012.4
- Vertigo (1958) by Alfred Hitchcock topped the Sight & Sound critics' poll in 2012, dethroning Citizen Kane.3 It also came #7 in 1982, #4 in 1992, and #2 in 2002.2 In the directors' poll, it came #6 in 1992 and 2002,2 and #7 in 2012.3
- La Règle du Jeu (The Rules of the Game) (1939) by Jean Renoir is the only movie to have appeared in every one of the Sight & Sound critics' polls; its only appearance in the directors' poll was #9 in 2002.
For the full list published in 2012, see The Sight & Sound Top 50 Greatest Films of All Time.
Brussels World's Fair's international poll
The Brussels World's Fair, organized in 1958, offered the occasion for the organization by thousands of critics and filmmakers from all over the world, of the first universal film poll in history.5 These were the films chosen as most artistically fulfilled:6789
|N||Movies||Year||Rating||No. of reviews|
|1||The Wizard of Oz||1939||99%||107 11|
|2||The Third Man||1949||100%||7312|
|4||All About Eve||1950||100%||6314|
|5||A Hard Day's Night||1964||99%||10115|
|6||The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari||1920||100%||4816|
|10||Mad Max: Fury Road||2015||98%||27720|
*Eligible movies must have more than 40 reviews from critics. The rankings based on Adjusted Score.
Metacritic compile a list of the almost 9,000 movies ranked by score.22 Last updated on July 7, 2015. The top 10 movies as of that date are:
|1||Boyhood||Jul 11, 2014||100/10023|
|2||Pan's Labyrinth||Dec 29, 2006||98/10024|
|2||Carol||Dec 18, 2015||98/10025|
|2||Hoop Dreams||Oct 14, 1994||98/10026|
|5||4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days||Jan 23, 2008||97/10027|
|5||12 Years A Slave||Oct 18, 2013||97/10028|
|5||Dr. Strangelove||Jan 29, 1964||97/10029|
|8||Ratatouille||Jan 29, 2007||96/10030|
|8||Gravity||Oct 4, 2013||96/10031|
|10||The Social Network||Oct 1, 2010||95/10032|
|10||Zero Dark Thirty||Dec 19, 2012||95/10033|
|10||A Separation||Dec 30, 2011||95/10034|
||The examples and perspective in this section deal primarily with the United States and do not represent a worldwide view of the subject. (October 2012)|
- Casablanca (1942) was voted the greatest film by readers of the Los Angeles Daily News in 1997.35 It is also regarded the "best Hollywood movie of all time" by the influential Leonard Maltin's Movie Guide.36 On April 7, 2006, the Writers' Guild of America declared Casablanca's screenplay the best ever written.37
- Gone with the Wind (1939) was voted the favorite film of Americans in a poll undertaken by Harris Interactive in 2008, and again in a follow-up poll in 2014. In both instances Star Wars was ranked in second place.3839 Gone with the Wind was also picked as the best film for Best in Film: The Greatest Movies of Our Time.40
- Himala (Miracle) (1982) by Ishmael Bernal won the 2008 CNN Asia Pacific Screen Awards Viewers Choice as "Best Asia-Pacific Film of All Time" (voted for by thousands of film fans around the world).41424344
- Raise the Red Lantern (1991) was voted the best Asian film in another audience poll conducted by MovieMail in 2000. It was followed by The Apu Trilogy (1955–1959) at second place.45
- Schindler's List (1993) was voted the best film ever made by the German film magazine Cinema.46
- Seven Samurai (1954) was voted #1 in an audience poll conducted by MovieMail in 2000. It was followed by The Third Man (1949) in second place.45
- Star Wars (1977) and its sequel The Empire Strikes Back (1980) were chosen as the greatest films by readers of Empire magazine in November 2001 and by voters in a Channel 4 (Film4) poll.47 Star Wars is also the highest ranking sci-fi film in both versions of the American Film Institute's list of the 100 greatest movies of all time (ranked #15 in the original list, and #13 in the updated list). The Empire Strikes Back was voted #1 in Total Film's Top 100 Movies of All Time,48 and #1 in the 2006 Empire "Greatest Movies Ever" special.49 It is #1 on the top rated sci-fi titles at the Internet Movie Database.50
- The Godfather (1972) was voted #1 by Entertainment Weekly's readers51 and voted as #1 in a Time Out readers' poll in 1998.52 The film was also voted as the "Greatest Movie of All Time" in September 2008 by 10,000 readers of Empire magazine, 150 people from the movie business and 50 film critics.53 The Godfather was selected as the best gangster movie ever by the American Film Institute during their 10 Top 10.54 In 2014, The Hollywood Reporter undertook an industry poll by sending a ballot to every studio, agency, publicity firm and production house in the Hollywood district. The Godfather was voted the top film by 2,120 industry members.55 It is the highest rated film on Metacritic with 100, tops the Rotten Tomatoes list of the best drama movies,56 and was chosen as the greatest crime film out of 25 movies by the IGN website in 2011.57 Its sequel, The Godfather Part II, (1974) was voted best movie ever by TV Guide readers58 in 1998.
- The Lord of the Rings trilogy (2001–2003) was voted the most popular film of all time by an audience poll for the Australian television special My Favourite Film and by a poll cast by 120,000 German voters for the TV special "Die besten Filme aller Zeiten" (German "The best films of all time").59 Its first film, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001), was the pick of readers in a poll by Empire magazine in November 2004.60
- The Shawshank Redemption (1994) was voted the best film not to have won an Academy Award in a 2004 Radio Times poll and again in 2008.61 The film is ranked #1 on FilmCrave.com's top 100 movies list62 and holds the top spot on the Internet Movie Database's list of the top 250 films.63 It holds a high score on Rotten Tomatoes within the community, at 91%.64
Particular genres or media
||The examples and perspective in this section deal primarily with the United States and do not represent a worldwide view of the subject. (October 2012)|
- Seven Samurai (1954) is the highest reviewed movie at Rotten Tomatoes with the highest number of votes that is listed as an action movie on the site.65
- Fist of Fury (1972),66 Enter the Dragon (1973),67 Five Deadly Venoms (1978),68 The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (1978),69 Magnificent Butcher (1979)70 and Drunken Master II (1994)717273 have often been cited as the best action martial arts films. All of the aforementioned movies were Hong Kong productions.
- Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) was chosen as the best action film for Best in Film: The Greatest Movies of Our Time.74 Sites such Moviefone75 and IGN 76 also placed the film as the #1 greatest action movie of all time.
- The Terminator (1984)6577 along with its sequel Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991),7879 Aliens (1986),657680 and The Matrix (1999) 75 are often the highest ranking and most positively reviewed action science fiction films.81
- Mad Max 2 (1981), also known as The Road Warrior, was claimed to be the greatest action film of all time in a poll by Rolling Stone magazine.82 The fourth movie in the series, Mad Max: Fury Road (2015), tops Rotten Tomatoes' list of action and adventure movies.65
- Die Hard (1988) is often voted the greatest action film of all time. It is also considered to be a landmark in action film history.838485
- Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) by Walt Disney was selected as the best American animated movie ever by the American Film Institute during their 10 Top 10 in 2008.54
- Pinocchio (1940) by Walt Disney was ranked as the #1 greatest animated movie by Time magazine in 2011.86
- The Russian animated films Hedgehog in the Fog (1975) and Tale of Tales (1979) by Yuri Norshtein have been voted as the greatest animated films ever in particular festivals.87
- Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984) by Hayao Miyazaki, based on his own 1982 manga of the same name, was the highest-ranked film in an audience poll of best anime movie/series conducted by Japan's Agency for Cultural Affairs in 2007.88
- My Neighbor Totoro (1988) by Miyazaki was ranked at #1 in Time Out's list of top 50 greatest animated films.89
- Akira (1988) by Katsuhiro Otomo is considered the greatest anime film ever made on the top ten anime lists at MovieCricket90 and Screen Junkies.91
- Grave of the Fireflies (1988) by Isao Takahata topped the Rotten Tomatoes list of best anime films,92 and is the highest-ranking animation in Time Out magazine's "50 greatest World War II movies" list93 and Empire magazine's "Top 10 Depressing Movies" list.94
- Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988) is the highest rated live-action/animated hybrid film on film aggregate Rotten Tomatoes, and has scored an almost perfect rating of 98%.95 The film was also ranked as the best animated/live action hybrid film by Entertainment Weekly in 2011.96
- Beauty and the Beast (1991) is #1 on IGN's Top 25 Animated Movies of All Time list in 2010.97
- The Lion King (1994) was chosen as the best animated film for Best in Film: The Greatest Movies of Our Time in 2011.98
- Toy Story (1995) was voted #1 on the Top 100 Animated Features of All Time by the Online Film Critics Society (list published March 2003).99 The film was also ranked as the greatest animated movie by Moviefone 100 and Total Film.101
- Toy Story 2 (1999) topped a Rotten Tomatoes poll of the 50 best animated movies ever made.102 It is also #1 on their list of the best kids movies,103 and is #1 on the Movie Review Query Engine's list of the best animated movies.104 The original and the sequel hold a perfect 100% score at Rotten Tomatoes.105106
- Toy Story 3 (2010) was voted the #1 film of 2010 by Quentin Tarantino.
- Spirited Away (2001) by Miyazaki is the highest-ranking animation in Empire magazine's "100 Best Films of World Cinema" list107 and the 2002 Sight & Sound critics' & directors' poll.108 It is also the highest rated animated film on IMDb's Top 250.63
- WALL-E (2008) was ranked as the greatest animated movie ever by Entertainment Weekly.109
- The Wind Rises (2013) was named by Film.com "Perhaps the greatest animated film ever made."110
- Frozen (2013) was called the best animated movie ever by The Celebrity Café.111 GeekTyrant stated that Frozen is Disney animation and storytelling at its best.112 A review of the film from Forbes stated "I'm not one to explicitly rank each Disney animated feature in order of qualitative superiority. [...] But if I were to rank the films, Jennifer Lee and Chris Buck's Frozen would be frighteningly close to the top of the list."113 The Weekly Standard stated that "Frozen is—hands down—the best animated film of all time."114
- A Christmas Story (1983) is AOL's #1 Christmas movie of all time115 and IGN's top holiday-themed movie of all time.116
- It's a Wonderful Life (1946) is #1 on the Movie Review Query Engine's list of the best holiday movies,117 and also topped AFI's 100 Years…100 Cheers list.118
- The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) is ranked #1 on Rotten Tomatoes' Top 25 Best Christmas Movies list.119
- Die Hard (1988) was voted Empire Magazine's "The Greatest Christmas Film of All Time" in 2010,120 and the fourth best in Rotten Tomatoes' list.121
- Lethal Weapon (1987) is commonly voted among the best action-Christmas films of all time.122
- Airplane! (1980) was chosen as the best comedy for Best in Film: The Greatest Movies of Our Time.123
- Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964) is the highest reviewed comedy movie at Rotten Tomatoes, with an almost perfect score of 99%.124 It also has a Metacritic score of 96/100, one of the website's highest rated comedy movies.125
- Ghostbusters (1984) was ranked first by IGN as the best comedy in their list of Top 25 Best Comedies Of All Time.126
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) was named the best British comedy picture of all time in a 2004 poll by the UK arm of Amazon.127
- Monty Python's Life of Brian (1979) was voted the greatest comedy ever in polls conducted by Total Film magazine in 2000,128 the British TV networks Channel 4 in 2006 129 and Five in 2007, and The Guardian newspaper in 2007.130
- National Lampoon's Animal House (1978) was voted #1 on the Bravo list of funniest movies of all time.131
- Some Like It Hot (1959) was listed Best American Film Comedy by the American Film Institute in June 2000.132
- City Lights (1931) was selected as the best romantic comedy ever by the American Film Institute during their 10 Top 10.54
- Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949) is ranked sixth in the BFI Top 100 British films and is the highest ranked comedy.
See Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind in the acclaimed animated films section above.
- Akira (1988) is the highest-ranking animated film on lists of best comic book movies published by Movie Review Query Engine,133 Film4134 and Total Film,135 as well as the highest-ranking comic book adaptation on IGN's top 25 animated movies of all time in 2010,97 and Complex magazine's Best Animated Movies of All Time list.136
- The Dark Knight Trilogy was collectively ranked as #1 on Newsarama's top ten comic book movies list.137 The Dark Knight (2008) is the most critically acclaimed installment of the trilogy: the film is the highest rated comic book/superhero movie on IMDB's Top 250,63 voted the greatest superhero movie in a reader's poll conducted by Rolling Stone magazine,138 and #1 on lists published by Rotten Tomatoes,139140 Movie Review Query Engine,133 AskMen,141 IGN142 The Guardian,143 Total Film,135 and TheStreet.com.144 The Dark Knight Rises, the final installment, is considered the best comic book superhero movie in a list published by Forbes in 2012.145
- Death Note (2006) was chosen as the best live-action film based on a manga comic in a Japanese audience poll conducted by the Goo Research online monitor group.146
- Ghost in the Shell (1995) is the highest-ranking film based on a manga comic on Rotten Tomatoes' Comics & Graphic Novels Vs. The Critics list in order of critical approval.140
- Oldboy (2003) is the highest ranking film based on a manga comic on Empire Magazine's lists of the 500 greatest movies of all time,147 as well as Empire's The 100 Best Films Of World Cinema list.148 It is the only comic book adaptation to be named one of the ten best Asian films ever made in a 2008 poll conducted by CNN.149
- The Avengers (2012) was ranked #1 in the 2012 edition of SFX's Top 50 Superhero Movies Of All Time list,150 and the best comic book movie of all time in a list published by Film4 in order of critical approval.134
- The Incredibles (2004) was ranked #1 in Time magazine's list of top ten greatest superhero films in 2011.151 It is also the highest ranking animated superhero film in a reader's poll conducted by Rolling Stone magazine,138 and on countdown lists published by media outlets such as IGN in 2010,97 SFX in 2012,150 The Guardian in 2013,143 and the Houston Chronicle in 2014.152
- Persepolis (2007) was the highest ranking graphic novel adaptation on a list of best animated movies ever published by Entertainment Weekly.153
- Spider-Man 2 (2004) was #1 on Rotten Tomatoes' Comix Worst to Best list in 2007.154
- X2 (2003) was voted #1 in Empire Magazine's list of the 20 Greatest Comic Book Movies in 2006.155
- To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) was selected as the best courtroom drama ever by the American Film Institute during their 10 Top 10 list.54
- 12 Angry Men (1957) was selected as the second-best courtroom drama ever by the American Film Institute during their AFI's 10 Top 10 list156 and is the highest courtroom drama on both the IMDb Top 250 list63 and at Rotten Tomatoes's Top 100 Movies of All Times.157
See also The Godfather in the Films acclaimed in audience polls section above.
- Chinatown (1974) was named the best crime film of all time by The Guardian.158
- Pulp Fiction (1994) was ranked the greatest film of the past 25 years (1983-2008) by Entertainment Weekly.159
- The Poseidon Adventure (1972) was voted best disaster movie in a poll commissioned by UCI cinemas in May 2004.160
- Man with a Movie Camera (1929) was voted the greatest documentary ever by 200 curators and critics and 100 film makers, many of whom were documentary specialists, in a 2014 poll organised by Sight & Sound.161 It is also the highest placed documentary in The Sight & Sound Top 50 Greatest Films of All Time.
- Bowling for Columbine (2002), Michael Moore's controversial documentary relating gun control and the culture of fear in the United States, heads the list of 20 all-time favorite non-fiction films selected by members of the International Documentary Association (IDA).162163
- Grey Gardens (1975), the Maysles Brothers' documentary about former First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy's eccentric aunt and cousin Edith Bouvier Beale and Edith Ewing Bouvier Beale, was ranked as one of the greatest documentaries of all time by the International Documentary Association.164 The film holds an 89% Fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes.165
- The Seven Up! series (1964–) was voted as the greatest ever documentary in a Channel 4 poll of the 50 Greatest Documentaries in 2005.166
- The Last Waltz (1978) is considered one of the greatest concert documentaries ever created, and has been deemed as such by Total Film,135 Michael Worthington of the Chicago Tribune,167 and by Rotten Tomatoes, where it holds a 97% favorable rating.168
- Seven Samurai (1954) was the highest-ranking epic film in the 1982 Sight & Sound critics' poll.2
- Lawrence of Arabia (1962) was voted best epic by readers of Total Film in May 2004. It was selected as the best epic movie ever by the American Film Institute during their 10 Top 10.54
- The Wizard of Oz (1939) was selected as the best American fantasy movie ever by the American Film Institute during their 10 Top 10.54
- Spirited Away (2001) is the highest-ranking animated film on "The 25 best sci-fi and fantasy films of all time" list published by The Guardian, and the second highest-ranking fantasy film on the list after The Wizard of Oz.169
- The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003) It is the only film in the genre to win the Academy Award for Best Picture. It also won 11 Academy Awards, the highest number of any film ever made (tying with Ben-Hur and Titanic). It is also the only film in history having won Best Film awards from the Academy, BAFTA, Empire, Golden Globe, Hugo, MTV, and Saturn Awards.
- The Breakfast Club (1985) ranks at #1 on Entertainment Weekly 's list of best high school movies.170 Other films written and directed by John Hughes, namely Weird Science, Sixteen Candles and Pretty in Pink, are also often considered epitomal high school, and by extension, teenage coming of age films,171 as are the other nicknamed "Brat Pack" '80s films.
- Blackboard Jungle (1955) was listed as #1 best movie about high school on Newsweek/The Daily Beast.172
- Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986) was ranked #1 on Moviefone's list of Best High School Movies of All Time.173
- The Thing (1982) ranks #1 on The Boston Globe's list of the 50 scariest movies of all time.174
- The Shining (1980) ranks #1 on The Moving Arts Film Journal's list of the 25 greatest horror films.175
- The Exorcist (1973) was voted scariest movie of all time by Entertainment Weekly and Movies.com,citation needed and by viewers of AMC in 2006.176 It was also chosen as the best horror film for Best in Film: The Greatest Movies of Our Time.177
- Psycho (1960), the Alfred Hitchcock classic, tops AFI's list of the 100 most thrilling American films,178 and the top rated horror title at the Internet Movie Database.179
- King Kong (1933) ranked #1 in the Rotten Tomatoes list of the 50 best horror movies of all time.180
- Jaws (1975) was #1 in the Bravo network's five-hour miniseries The 100 Scariest Movie Moments in 2004.181 It was also ranked second on AFI's list for thrillers, 100 Years... 100 Thrills. It holds a 98% "Fresh" rating on the review aggregate website Rotten Tomatoes.182
- The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) ranks #1 on Total Film's list of the greatest horror films.183
- The Silence of the Lambs (1991) was chosen as the best suspense/thriller for Best in Film: The Greatest Movies of Our Time.184
- Singin' in the Rain (1952) tops the American Film Institute's list of the 25 best American musicals of all time,185 and the top rated musicals at the Internet Movie Database.186
- West Side Story (1961) was chosen as the best screen musical by readers of The Observer in a 2007 poll.187
- The Sound of Music (1965) was chosen as the best musical for Best in Film: The Greatest Movies of Our Time.188
- Rear Window (1954) is #1 on the Rotten Tomatoes list of the best mystery/suspense films.189
- Vertigo (1958) was selected as the best mystery movie ever by the American Film Institute during their 10 Top 10.54
- Seven Samurai (1954) was the highest-ranking historical period film in the 1982 Sight & Sound critics' poll.2
- Schindler's List (1993) was chosen as the best political/historical film for Best in Film: The Greatest Movies of Our Time.190
- The Battleship Potemkin (1925) has been called one of the most influential propaganda films of all time,191 and was named the greatest film of all time at the Brussels World's Fair in 1958.192193194
- Triumph of the Will (1935), Leni Riefenstahl's documentary film glorifying Adolf Hitler and the 1934 Nazi Party Convention, in Nuremberg is widely perceived, renowned and acknowledged as the best propaganda film ever,195 although Riefenstahl asserted she intended it only as a documentary.
- In 1996, the Holy See released three lists of recommended films. The three different lists considered films of religious value, virtue (or moral value) and artistic merit. Among the list of 15 religious films considered by the Vatican to be the best ever were, in no particular order, William Wyler's Ben-Hur, The Mission, The Passion of Joan of Arc, and Fred Zinnemann's 1966 version of A Man for All Seasons.196
- Brokeback Mountain (2005) was voted the top film revolving around homosexual relationships by Thebacklot.com.197
- Casablanca (1942) was voted the top romantic American film on AFI's 100 Years... 100 Passions list,198 and is #1 on the top rated romance titles at the Internet Movie Database.199
- Titanic (1997) is tied with both the most Academy Award wins (11) and nominations (14)—the only film to do so.
- 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) tops the Online Film Critics Society list of greatest science fiction films of all time,200 and was also named the best science fiction film of all time by The Guardian.201 It is also the only science fiction film to make the Sight and Sound poll for ten best movies, and was selected as the best science fiction movie ever by the American Film Institute during their 10 Top 10.54
- Blade Runner (1982) was voted the best science fiction film by a panel of scientists assembled by the British newspaper The Guardian in 2004.202 In New Scientist, Blade Runner was voted "all-time favourite science fiction film" in both the staff,203 and reader's 2008 polls.204
- E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982) topped a Rotten Tomatoes poll of the 100 best Science Fiction movies ever made.205
- Akira (1988) is considered by some to be the best animated science fiction film.206207208209
- Rocky (1976) topped Digital Spy's "greatest ever sports movie" audience poll in 2012.210
- Raging Bull (1980) was selected as the best sports movie ever by the American Film Institute during their 10 Top 10,54 and is #1 on the top rated sport titles at the Internet Movie Database.211
- Murderball (2005) is #1 on the Rotten Tomatoes countdown of the top sports movies.212
- Senna (2010) is on the list of best sports movies of all time on the site Rotten Tomatoes.213 Voted the 4th best sports movies of all time by the Empire Magazine.214
- Paths of Glory (1957) is #1 on the Movie Review Query Engine's list of the best military movies.215
- The Longest Day (1962) topped the list of the Moviefone 25 Best War Movies.216
- Apocalypse Now (1979) was ranked as the #1 greatest war movie by The Guardian in a 2013 critics poll with The Observer.217 The film also topped on Channel 4's 50 Films To See Before You Die.218 It is the second rated war movie of all time based on the Movifone list (after The Longest Day).216
- Come and See (1985) was listed as the #1 greatest World War II film by Time Out.219
- Saving Private Ryan (1998) was voted as the greatest war film in a 2008 Channel 4 poll of the 100 greatest war films.220
- The Searchers (1956) was selected as the best western movie ever by the American Film Institute during their 10 Top 10.54 (See also: Polls of critics and filmmakers above).
- Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969) was chosen as the best western film for Best in Film: The Greatest Movies of Our Time.221
- Once Upon a Time in the West (1968). Empire magazine ranks the film on its poll of "500 Greatest Movies of All Time" at #14, the highest ranking Western.
- The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966) was ranked as #1 on WatchMojo.com's Top 10 Western Movies list.222
The highest ranked Afghan film is Osama. The 2003 drama was critically and commercially successful; it gathered a rating of 96% based on 100 reviews collected by Rotten Tomatoes,223 and grossed $3,888,902 worldwide from a small budget of $46,000.224 The film won several awards including the Golden Globe Award For Best Foreign Language Film in 2003.
Antigua and Barbuda
- The Sweetest Mango (2001) is the first feature film from Antigua and Barbuda. It has a rating of 6.2/10 in IMDb.225
- Redemption of Paradise (2011) directed by Noel Howell won three awards at Jamaica Reggae Film Festival.226
The highest ranked Argentinian film is Juan J. Campanella's El secreto de sus ojos (The Secret in Their Eyes; 2009; Argentina).227 Another highly acclaimed Argentinian film is Fabián Bielinsky's Nueve Reinas, which holds an overall 92% "Certified Fresh" approval rating based on 93 reviews, with a rating average of 7.5 out of 10 on review aggregate website Rotten Tomatoes.228 Ricardo Darín starrs in both films.
- Musical film Abo So (2013) directed by Aruban filmmaker Juan Francisco Pardo is one of the best films in Papiamento language. It won the Best Feature Film award at 9th Belize International Film Festival.229 It has a rating of 7.4/10 at IMDb.230
- Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975) was voted #1 of the Top 10 best-ever Australian films in a 1995 poll.231
The Australian Film Institute, in collaboration with Australia Post, conducted an initiative in 2008 asking the Australian public to vote for their all-time favourite Australian film. Results from the poll indicate the top five Australian films of all time are:232
- The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
- The Castle – #1 according to the 2008 poll results.
- Lantana – rated the greatest Australian film in lists published by the Herald Sun233 and The Australian.234
- Muriel's Wedding
See also Cinema of Bangladesh
- Matir Moina (2002): Winner of the International Critics Prize at Cannes in 2002, internationally acclaimed (and distributed) production that was well received overseas, it was the first Bangladeshi movie nominated for an Oscar.235
- Titash Ekti Nadir Naam (1973): In 2007, A River Called Titas topped the list of 10 best Bangladeshi films, as chosen in the audience and critics' polls conducted by the British Film Institute.236
- Loft: voted the best Belgian film on Moviemeter.nl, followed by Man Bites Dog, The Memory of a Killer, Toto the Hero and Ben X.citation needed
- Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles: voted the best Belgian film on the "They Shoot Pictures" site (#142 in the Top 250).citation needed
- Académie André Delvaux, Belgian Film Critics Association and Ostend Film Festival awarded Mr. Nobody best Belgian film.237238239
- Ônibus 174 (Bus 174), Directed by José Padilha & Felipe Lacerda (2002), a documentary about a bus hijacking, is the highest rated foreign film at Rotten Tomatoes.240
- Cidade de Deus (City of God), Directed by Fernando Meirelles & Kátia Lund (2002) is the highest ranked Brazilian film on Empire magazine's "100 Best Films Of World Cinema" in 2010 241 and the highest rated Brazilian film on the IMDb Top 250 list.242
- Deus e o Diabo na Terra do Sol (Black God, White Devil), Directed by Glauber Rocha (1964) has been selected by Brazilian critics as the best film of all time several times, such as the 27th edition of Brazilian film magazine Contracampo.243
- Atanarjuat: The Fast Runner was named first in the Toronto International Film Festival's 2015 Top 10 Canadian Films of All Time.244
- Jesus of Montreal (Jésus de Montréal) (1989): Ranked second on the All Time TIFF, and in a reader's poll conducted by Playback's list since its release. Winner of 12 Genie Awards at the 11th Genie Awards.
- Mon oncle Antoine (1971): A poll of critics at the 1984 Toronto International Film Festival and again at the 1993 and 2004 festivals named the greatest Canadian film of all time.245 8th in Playback's reader's poll.citation needed
- The Sweet Hereafter (1997): Voted the best Canadian film ever by readers of Playback,246 and a poll done by Canadian film insiders named it the best Canadian film of the last 15 years.247
- Wavelength (1967): the only Canadian film on the Village Voice's "100 Best Films of the 20th Century" ranking at #85.248
- In a poll of filmmakers, critics, and theorists Marketa Lazarova was named best film in the 100 years of Czechoslovak cinema.249
- Walking Too Fast was released in 2010 and was has received universal acclaim from Critics who named it as the Best Czech film since Velvet Revolution.251
- Julio comienza en julio (1979): Chosen in 1999 as the "Best Chilean Film of the Century" in a vote organized by the Municipality of Santiago.253
- See Raise the Red Lantern (traditional Chinese: 大紅燈籠高高掛) in the Films acclaimed in audience polls section above.
- Spring in a Small Town (小城之春) (1948) was voted the best Chinese film ever made by the Hong Kong Film Awards Association in 2005.
- Farewell My Concubine (霸王别姬) (1993), directed by Chen Kaige, is the highest-ranking Asian film on Time Magazine's "Readers Top Rated" list.71 #1 Film Beijing TimeOut Magazine.254
- In the Heat of the Sun Dir Jiang Wen (1994) 阳光灿烂的日子 255
- Devils on the Doorstep Dir Jiang Wen (2000) 鬼子来了 254255
- To Live Dir Zhang Yimou (1994) 活着 254255
- Tko pjeva zlo ne misli (One Who Sings Means No Harm, 1970) was voted the best Croatian all time movie by the Croatian Society of Film Critics.
- Day of Wrath (Vredens dag) Carl Th. Dreyer's harrowing tale of adultery and repression is often cited in Denmark as the greatest Danish film.256
- Flickering Lights (Blinkende lygter) the 2000 comedy about small-time gangsters was voted the Best Danish Film in a 2007 poll by the Ekstra Bladet tabloid newspaper. Thomas Vinterberg's The Celebration (Festen) was the runner-up.257
To mark the centennial of Egyptian cinema, Al Ahram daily newspaper asked the country's top 20 critics to choose the best 15 best Egyptian films of all time. This is the result of the poll (first published July 12, 2007):citation needed
- The Mummy (Al-Mummia) Directed by Chadi Abdel Salam (1969)
- The Sin ("El-Haram") Directed by Henry Barakat (1965)
- The Land ("Al-Ard") Directed by Youssef Chahine (1970)
- A Beginning and an End ("Bidaya wa Nihaya) Directed by Salah Abouseif (1960)
- The Bus Driver ("Sawaq El-Autobis") Directed by Atef E-Taieb (1983)
- The Collar and the Bracelet ("El Tooq wal Eswera") Directed by Khairy Beshara (1986)
- The Will (Al-Azima) Directed by Kamal Selim (1939)
- Cairo Station ("Bab El-Hadid") Directed by Youssef Chahine (1958)
- The Wife of an Important Man ("Zawgat Ragol Mohim") Directed by Mohamed Khan (1988)
- The Flirtation of Girls ("Ghazal Al-Banat") Directed by Anwar Wagdi (1949)
- Life or Death ("Haya aw Maut") Directed by Kamal El Sheikh (1954)
- The Nightingale's Prayer ("Doaa Al-Karawan") Directed by Henry Barakat (1959)
- The Innocent ("El-Baree'") Directed by Atef E-Taieb
- El-Kit Kat Directed by Daoud Abdel Sayed (1991)
- Terrorism and Kebab ("Al-Irhab wal kabab") Directed by Sherif Arafa (1992)
- Kevade (Spring, 1969) received the first place in the Estonian feature films Top Ten Poll in 2002 held by Estonian film critics and journalists.258
- The Unknown Soldier (1955) was voted the best Finnish movie in an Internet poll by Helsingin Sanomat in 2007.259
- Talvisota (The Winter War, 1989): is the highest user rated Finnish film on the IMDb having received more than 1000 votes.260
- La Règle du Jeu (The Rules of the Game) (1939/1950). See polls of critics and filmmakers.
- Les Enfants du Paradis (Children of Paradise) (1945/1946): Voted "Best French Film of the Century" in a poll of 600 French critics and professionals in the late 1990s.261
- Léon: The Professional (1994) is the highest ranked French film on IMDb's Top 250.63
- M – Eine Stadt sucht einen Mörder by Fritz Lang is the highest rated German film in the IMDb.262
- Der letzte Mann (The Last Laugh): See Films acclaimed by critics and filmmakers above.
- Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari (The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari): See Films acclaimed by critics and filmmakers above.
- A Better Tomorrow (英雄本色) (1986), filmed and produced in Hong Kong, was voted the second best Chinese film ever made by the Hong Kong Film Awards Association in 2005.263
- Drunken Master II (醉拳二) (1994), directed by Jackie Chan and Lau Kar-Leung, is the highest-ranking entirely Hong Kong production and third highest-ranking Asian film on Time Magazine's "Readers Top Rated" list.71 See the acclaimed action films section above for other martial arts films made in Hong Kong.
- In the Mood for Love (花樣年華) (2000), directed by Wong Kar-wai, was chosen as the greatest Hong Kong film out of 100 choices by the Hong Kong edition of Time Out.264 It came #24 on the most recent Sights and Sound poll, and is the only Hong Kong production to make the top 50. Wong Kar-wai's earlier work, Days of Being Wild (阿飛正傳) (1990), ranks #3 on the Best 100 Chinese Motion Pictures list and is considered the first part of an informal trilogy with In the Mood for Love forming the second part.
- Infernal Affairs (無間道) (2002), directed by Andrew Lau and Alan Mak, is the highest-ranking Hong Kong production on the Internet Movie Database's "Top 250 Movies" list at #203.265 Martin Scorsese's remake of Infernal Affairs, The Departed (2006),266 also ranks on the Internet Movie Database's "Top 250 Movies" list at #46.63
In 2000, Hungarian film critics chose the so-called "Budapest 12",267 the twelve best films of Hungary:
- Szegénylegények (The Round-Up, 1965) – Miklós Jancsó
- Szerelem (Love, 1971) – Károly Makk
- Szindbád (Sinbad, 1971) – Zoltán Huszárik
- Emberek a havason (Men on the Mountain, 1942) – István Szőts
- Valahol Európában (Somewhere in Europe, 1948) – Géza von Radványi
- Megáll az idő (Time Stands Still, 1982) – Péter Gothár
- Hyppolit, a lakáj (Hyppolit, 1931) – István Székely
- Körhinta (Merry-Go-Round, 1956) – Zoltán Fábri
- A kis Valentino (Little Valentino, 1979) – András Jeles
- Az én XX. Századom (My 20th Century, 1989) – Ildikó Enyedi
- Apa (Father, 1966) – István Szabó
- Hannibál tanár úr (Professor Hannibal, 1956) – Zoltán Fábri
Of all Hungarian filmmakers, Béla Tarr has arguably the most recognition among English-language critics; his films Satan's Tango (1994) and Werckmeister Harmonies (2000) both ranked in the British Film Institute's Sight & Sound critics' poll—at #36 and #171 respectively.268269
- Börn náttúrunnar is the only Icelandic film that is nominated for Academy Awards. It has a rating of 7.7/10 at IMDb.270
- The Apu Trilogy (1955–1959), a Bengali film trilogy directed by Satyajit Ray, appeared on the 1992 edition of the Sight & Sound Critics' Poll (ranked #88)271 and on The Village Voice's top 250 "Best Films of the Century" critics' poll (ranked #54).272273 It is the highest-ranking trilogy in both polls.
- Pather Panchali (1955), the first part of The Apu Trilogy and Satyajit Ray's debut film, appeared on the Sight & Sound Critics' Poll several times, in 1962 (ranked #11),271 1992 (ranked #6)274275 and 2002 (ranked #22).276277 It also appeared on The Village Voice top 250 "Best Films of the Century" critics' poll (tied at #12 with The Godfather).272273
- Apur Sansar (The World of Apu) (1959), the final part of Satyajit Ray's The Apu Trilogy, was the highest-ranking Indian film in the 1982 Sight & Sound Critics' Poll (ranked #42), followed by two other Ray films The Music Room (1958) and Charulata (1964) tied at #56.278
- Mayabazar (1957), directed by Kadiri Venkata Reddy and produced by B. Nagi Reddy, Aluri Chakrapani is a Telugu mythological film. The critically acclaimed Mayabazar is considered one of the enduring classics of Indian Cinema. IBN Live listed it as the greatest Indian film of all time.279280281 The film was touted as a landmark achievement in Indian film's cinematography, art direction and visual effects with the technology available at the time.
- Manichitrathazhu (1993)directed by Fazil (director), is considered as one of the best thrillers ever made in India as well as one of the best Malayalam films ever made.282 Manichitrathazhu was remade after nearly 10 years in various languages, including Kannada (Apthamitra), Tamil and Telugu (dubbed) (Chandramukhi), Bengali (Rajmohol), and Hindi (Bhool Bhulaiyaa), all being commercially successful.
- The Hindi film Pyaasa (1957) was listed on Time magazine's All-Time 100 Movies list.71
- The Tamil film Nayagan (1987) is listed on Time magazine's All-Time 100 Movies list.71
- Sholay (1975), a "Curry Western" Hindi film directed by Ramesh Sippy, topped the British Film Institute's poll of "Top 10 Indian Films" of all time.283
- Gandhi (1982), an Indian English biographical film about Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi directed by Richard Attenborough, won 8 Academy Awards including the Academy Award for Best Picture.
- Lagaan (2001), directed by Ashutosh Gowariker and produced by Aamir Khan, is a Hindi historical sports film that became the third Hindi film to be nominated for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film after Mother India (1957) and Salaam Bombay! (1988). In 2010, Lagaan was ranked #55 in Empire magazines "The 100 Best Films Of World Cinema,"284 and in 2011, it was listed in Time magazine's "The All-TIME 25 Best Sports Movies" list.285
- Hum Aapke Hain Koun (1994), directed by Sooraj R. Barjatya and starring Madhuri Dixit and Salman Khan, it celebrates Indian wedding traditions by relating to the story of a married couple and the relationship between their families.It contributed to a change in the Indian film industry, with new methods of distribution and a turn towards less violent stories. Box Office India described it as "the biggest blockbuster of the modern era".It made a lasting impact on wedding celebrations in India, which often include songs and games from the film.286287
- Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (1995), directed by Aditya Chopra features in most lists of must see Hindi movies of all times,288289
- Mughal-e-Azam (1960), later re-released in colour, is considered a classic in terms of grandeur, script, music and acting 290
- 3 Idiots (2009) is the highest ranked Indian film on IMDb's Top 250.63
- Bahubali: The Beginning (2015) had reached heights in Indian film Industry with overtaking highest IMDb's Rating(Indian) of 3 Idiots 291
- Bashu, the Little Stranger (1986) was voted "Best Iranian Film of all time" in November 1999 by a Persian movie magazine "Picture world" poll of 150 Iranian critics and professionals.292
- A Separation (2011) was the first Iranian movie to win the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film in 2012. It also won the Golden Globe in the same category
- The Commitments (1991) was voted the best Irish film of all time in a 2004 Jameson Whiskey poll of 10,000 Irish people, with My Left Foot coming second.293
- The Policeman (1971) was voted "Best Israeli Film of All Time" in 2008 poll by Cafe The Marker, affiliated with the prestigious Israeli newspaper Haaretz. More than 100 surfers and 7 film experts chose The Policeman. The movie finished ahead of Giv'at Halfon Eina Ona and Blaumilch Canal at a split second place.294
- Giv'at Halfon Eina Ona (1976) was voted "Favorite Israeli Film of All Time" in a 2004 poll by Ynet, the website of a popular Israeli newspaper. The film got votes from 25,000 surfers.295
- Bicycle Thieves (Ladri di biciclette) (1948). See Polls of critics and filmmakers section above. Also listed at #22 on Entertainment Weekly's 100 Greatest Movies of All Time.296
- 8½ (1963). Director Federico Fellini's film about filmmaking was the highest rated Italian film in the 2002 Sight & Sound poll of the best films of all time.297
- The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo) (1966) is the highest-ranking Italian production on the Internet Movie Database's "Top 250 Movies" list as voted by users,298 where it is listed as the 4th best film ever.63 (Also see Western section above.)
- Rashomon (羅生門), 1950: This film by Akira Kurosawa was the first Japanese film to gain worldwide acclaim. It is the highest-ranked Japanese and Asian film in the Village Voice poll of "Best Films of the Century" (ranked #10).272 It also tied for the highest-ranked Japanese and Asian film on the Sight and Sound 2002 Directors' Top Ten Poll (ranked #9).299
- Seven Samurai (七人の侍 Shichinin no Samurai), 1954: Also by Kurosawa, this period adventure film is frequently cited as the greatest Japanese film ever; at #12, it is the highest-ranked Japanese and Asian film on the Internet Movie Database's "Top 250 movies" list.300 It ranked, for the first time, at #3 in the 1982 Sight & Sound Critics' Top Ten Poll,301 appeared on the Sight & Sound Directors' Top Ten Poll in 1992 (ranked #10),302 tied for the highest-ranked Japanese and Asian film in 2002 (ranked #9),299 and ranked #17 on the 2012 critics' poll.303 It is ranked #2 on Rotten Tomatoes' top 100 foreign films,240 and #1 on their top 100 action/adventure films.65 It was also voted the "Best Japanese Film ever" in a 1979 Kinema Junpo critics' poll.304 It also topped Empire magazine's "The 100 Best Films Of World Cinema" list.305
- Tokyo Story (東京物語 Tokyo Monogatari), 1953: Directed by Yasujirō Ozu, is the highest-ranked Japanese and Asian film on the 2002 Sight and Sound Critics' Top Ten Poll (ranked #5).306 It was also declared the greatest film ever by Halliwell's Film Guide in 2005.307 In 2012, Tokyo Story topped the Sight & Sound directors' poll, dethroning Citizen Kane for the first time since the directors' poll began in 1992, and has also come third place in the 2012 critics' poll.3
- Ugetsu (雨月物語 Ugetsu Monogatari), 1953: Directed by Kenji Mizoguchi, it was the highest-ranking Asian film in the Sight & Sound critics' polls in 1962 (ranked #4)308 and 1972 (ranked #10).309
- A Limousine The Colour Of Midsummer's Eve (1981) by Jānis Streičs, voted all-time best Latvian film in the popular vote.310
- Before the Rain (1994) is a Milčo Mančevski film, nominated for an Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film.
- Simshar is the first Maltese film to be submitted for the Best Foreign Language Oscar.
- Pan's Labyrinth, a 2006 Mexican co-production, is the highest ranked Mexican or Latin American film on Empire magazine's "100 Best Films Of World Cinema" in 2010.312
- Soldaat van Oranje (Soldier of Orange – 1977 – Paul Verhoeven): Voted best Dutch film ever made in a 2006 Internet poll by online film magazine Filmwereld.nl.citation needed
- Zwartboek (Black Book – 2006 – Paul Verhoeven): Voted best Dutch film ever at the 2008 Netherlands Film Festival.313
See Lord of the Rings in the Films acclaimed in audience polls section above.
- Flåklypa Grand Prix (Pinchcliffe Grand Prix – 1975 – Ivo Caprino): The people's choice for "Best Norwegian Film of the Century" during the 2005 Bergen International Film Festival.314
- Ni Liv (Nine Lives – 1957 – Arne Skouen): The critics' choice for "Best Norwegian Film of the Century" during the 2005 Bergen International Film Festival.314
- Baji (1963), directed by S. Suleman, topped the British Film Institute's critics poll of "Top 10 Pakistani Films" of all time.315
- Aina (1977), directed by Nazr-ul-Islam, topped the British Film Institute's user poll of "Top 10 Pakistani Films" of all time.316
- See Himala in the Films acclaimed in audience polls section above.
- Maynila: Sa mga Kuko ng Liwanag (Manila in the Claws of Light; 1975) by Lino Brocka was cited in numerous film anthologies and critical polls as the greatest Filipino film ever.317318
- City After Dark (originally entitled Manila by Night; 1980) by Ishmael Bernal was cited in a poll conducted in 1989 by film scholar Joel David and his UP criticism class as the best Filipino film of all time.319
- Sexmission (1984) is the best Polish film of the last 30 years according to a 2005 poll by readers of three popular film magazines.320
- The Promised Land (1975) was considered as the best Polish movie by the critics of "Esensja" magazine in 2011 ranking.321 Top 5 include also Bad Luck, Knife in the Water, Sewer, and The Saragossa Manuscript.
- Cult comedy Teddy Bear (1980) was voted by the public of 2013 Filmfest PL as the best all times movie.322
- Sexmission is also in a prominent position in the ranking of Polish movies on portal Filmweb.pl in 2011.323 Other positions from the first ten places are: Polish-French cooproduction The Pianist (2002), comedies: Day of the wacko (2002), Our Folks (1967), How I Unleashed World War II (1969), Teddy Bear (1980), Boys Don't Cry (2000), and dramas showing important social or political problems after 1989: The Debt (1999), Symmetry (2003), and Pigs (1992).
- In the same 2014 Filmweb poll, Sexmission dropped to #9. First place was taken by The Pianist. Only these two movies maintained positions in the top ten. The new ranking was dominated by Krzysztof Kieślowski's movies. Talking Heads (1980), Blind Chance (1981), A Short Film About Killing (1987), Camera Buff (1979) placed respectively on third, fourth, sixth and tenth position. Interrogation (1982) was ranked #2. Other films chareted were: Night Train (1959), The Cathedral (2002), The Saragossa Manuscript (1964).324
- Filmweb's 2015 ranking gives another changes. 2014 film about Mr. Religa - Gods - apperad at 2nd position. Marcel Łoziński's short Anything Can Happen held 3rd place. Best film still The Pianist. Other places: Interrogation (4), Talking Heads (5), Night Train (6), Blind Chance (7), Camera Buff (8), The Saragossa Manuscript (9), A Short Film About Killing (10).325
- 2014 Onet.pl reders voting 25 Years of Freedom for best post-communist productions include: The Hitman (10,3%), The Pianist (9,2%), Pigs (8,2%), Day of the wacko (8,1%), Boys Don't Cry (8,1%), The Debt (4,2%), The Wedding (4,1%), Destined for Blues (3,8%), Daddy (3,6%), Aftermath (3,1%)326
- Best-awarded Polish productions include: A Short Film About Killing (European Film Award for Best Film in 1988), Man of Iron (Palme d'Or of 1981 Cannes Film Festival), The Pianist (Palme d'Or of 2002 Cannes Film Festival and Academy Award for Best Director in 2003), and Ida (European Film Award for Best Film, Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film and BAFTA Award for Best Film Not in the English Language in 2015).
- See also: List of Polish European Film Award winners and nominees, List of Polish Academy Award winners and nominees, List of Polish submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film, Polish Academy Award for Best Film
Best 10 Romanian films as considered by the Union of Romanian Cineastes and the Film Critics Association327 (Uniunea Cineaştilor din România şi Asociaţia Criticilor de Film):
- Reconstituirea (The Reenactment – Lucian Pintilie, 1968)
- Pădurea spânzuraţilor (The Forest of the Hanged – Liviu Ciulei, 1965)
- Moartea domnului Lazarescu (The Death of Mr. Lăzărescu) – Cristi Puiu, 2005
- 4 luni, 3 săptămâni şi 2 zile (4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days – Cristian Mungiu, 2007)
- Secvenţe (Sequences) – Alexandru Tatos, 1982
- Nunta de piatră (The Stone Wedding) – Mircea Veroiu, Dan Piţa. 1973
- La moara cu noroc (Victor Iliu. 1956)
- A fost sau n-a fost? (12:08 East of Bucharest – Corneliu Porumboiu, 2006)
- Probă de microfon (Microphone Test) (Mircea Daneliuc, 1979)
- Croaziera (The Cruise) (Mircea Daneliuc, 1981)
- Who's That Singing Over There (Ko to tamo peva, 1980) was in 1996 voted the best Serbian movie made in the 1947-1995 period by the members of the Yugoslavian Board of the Academy of Film Art and Science (AFUN).328
- Underground by Emir Kusturica won the Palme d'Or in the 1995 Cannes Film Festival.329
- Ilo Ilo (爸妈不在家, 2013) is the most critically acclaimed film in the history of Singaporean cinema. It is the highest rated Singaporean-made film on IMDB330 and won 21 international awards, which include 4 at the Golden Horse Film Festival and Awards as well as the Camera d'Or award at the Cannes Film Festival.331
- In a poll of filmmakers, critics, and theorists The Shop on Main Street was named second best film in the 100 years of Czechoslovak cinema. It was the best placed Slovak film in this poll. It is also the only Slovak Film that has won an Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film. It should be noted tha there is a controversy whether the Film is Slovak or Czech.332333334
- See You in the Next War (Nasvidenje v naslednji vojni, 1980), voted the best Slovenian film of all times in the poll among contemporary film critics, conducted in 2012 by Dnevnik newspaper.335
- Tsotsi In 2006 the film won the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film, becoming the first South African Film to win an Oscar.
- Invictus South African, American film about the events in South Africa before and during the 1995 Rugby World Cup, which was hosted in that country following the dismantling of apartheid. Received two acting Academy Award Nominations.
- District 9 An independent science fiction action/thriller film directed by Neill Blomkamp. Adapted from Alive in Joburg, a 2005 short film directed by Blomkamp and produced by Sharlto Copley and Simon Hansen, depicts humanity, xenophobia, and social segregation. Nominated for four Academy Awards in 2010: Best Picture, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Visual Effects, and Best Editing.
- Obaltan (오발탄): Released in 1960. This film is widely regarded as the best South Korean film.336
- Oldboy (올드보이): This 2003 South Korean film is the highest ranked Korean film on Empire magazine's "100 Best Films Of World Cinema" in 2010337 and the highest rated Korean language film on the Internet Movie Database's top 250 list.338 It also won the Grand Prix of the Jury at the 2004 Cannes Film Festival.339
Several lists consider different films as the best made in Spain. The listed ones more often are: Viridiana (1961), Plácido (1961) and El verdugo (1963).340 Other films listed in the most of these lists are: El Cochecito (1960), Welcome Mr. Marshall! (1953), Calle Mayor (1956), Chimes at Midnight (1965), The Spirit of the Beehive (1973), Surcos (1951) and La Caza (The Hunt, 1966)
- On IMDb the highest user rated Spanish films are more modern and international co-productions, such as El laberinto del fauno (Pan's Labyrinth; 2006; Spain, Mexico and USA), El secreto de sus ojos (The Secret in Their Eyes; 2009; Argentina and Spain), Viridiana (1961; Spain and Mexico) and Mar adentro (The Sea Inside; 2004; Spain, France and Italy). The highest ranked entirely Spanish film is Pedro Almodóvar's Hable con ella (Talk to Her, 2002).227
- Pura Handa Kaluwara (1997), also known as Death on a Full Moon Day, directed by P. Vithanage and starring Joe Abeywickrama, topped the British Film Institute's poll of "Top 10 Sri Lankan Films" of all time.341
- Ananta Rathiriya (1995), directed by P. Vithanage, topped the user poll of "Top 10 Sri Lankan Films" of all time.342
- Persona (1966): Acclaimed director Ingmar Bergman's movie reached the highest position (#5 in 1972) of any Swedish film on any of Sight & Sound's lists of greatest films of all time.citation needed
- The Seventh Seal (Det sjunde inseglet, 1957), also directed by Ingmar Bergman, is the highest rated Swedish film on the IMDb top 250 list.63
- The Phantom Carriage (Körkarlen, 1921), directed by Victor Sjöström, was selected as the best Swedish film of all time by the film magazine FLM in 2012.343
- Raven's End (Kvarteret Korpen, 1963), directed by Bo Widerberg, was chosen by Nöjesguiden as the best Swedish film ever in 1995.344
- A City of Sadness (traditional Chinese: 悲情城市) came in at #5, the highest ranking Taiwanese film, on a list of Best 100 Chinese Motion Pictures unveiled by the Hong Kong Film Awards .
- Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (traditional Chinese: 臥虎藏龍) is a 2000 wuxia film directed by Ang Lee and co-produced by Taiwan, Hong Kong, the United States and China. The highest grossing foreign-language film in American history, it won over 40 awards, including the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film (for Taiwan) and 3 other Academy Awards.
In 2003 Ankara Sinema Derneği (Ankara Association for Cinema Culture) chose the "Best 10 Turkish films ever" by a poll among people who are interested in cinema professionally:345
- Yol (1982), Şerif Gören
- Umut (1970), Yılmaz Güney
- Sürü (1978), Zeki Ökten
- Muhsin Bey (1987), Yavuz Turgul
- Masumiyet (1997), Zeki Demirkubuz
- Selvi Boylum Al Yazmalım (1978), Atıf Yılmaz
- Anayurt Oteli (1986), Ömer Kavur
- Susuz Yaz (1964), Metin Erksan
- Gelin (1973), Ömer Lütfi Akad
- Uzak (2002), Nuri Bilge Ceylan
- Земля (Earth), one of the World's twelve greatest films of all time (Brussels World's Fair, 1958).9346
- Пропала грамота (The Lost Letter), was banned in Soviet Union. 20 years later was awarded with Golden Pagoda during the Bangkok International Film Festival, 1991.
- Тіні забутих предків (Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors) received the British Academy Award and Grand Prix at Mar del Plata International Film Festival (1965)
- The Third Man (1949): Voted best British film ever by members of the British Film Institute in 1999.347 #3 on the Rotten Tomatoes list of the best mystery/suspense movies.189
- Lawrence of Arabia (1962): voted "best British film of all time" in August 2004 by a London Sunday Telegraph poll of Britain's leading filmmakers.348 (See also: Epic above).
- Get Carter (1971): Named best British film in a poll of 25 film critics by Total Film magazine in 2004.349
- Don't Look Now (1973): Named best British film in a poll of 150 film industry experts conducted by Time Out London in 2011.350
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) was voted the best British picture of all time by a 2004 poll by the UK arm of Amazon and Internet Movie Database.127
- Trainspotting (1996): Named best British film between 1984–2009 by a poll of critics and film professionals in The Observer.351
Since 1998, the American Film Institute has assembled juries of film community leaders and polled them for a series of top 100 lists. Two of the lists from the series, 100 Years... 100 Movies from 1998 and 100 Years... 100 Movies (10th Anniversary Edition) from 2007, identified Citizen Kane as the best American film ever. In other years, AFI's jury members selected Some Like It Hot the greatest American comedy, Psycho as the most thrilling American movie, Casablanca as the greatest American love story, Singin' in the Rain as the greatest American film musical, and It's a Wonderful Life as the most inspiring American film.352
- Vertigo (1958) by Alfred Hitchcock topped the Sight & Sound critics' poll in 2012, dethroning Citizen Kane at the top of the critics' poll for the first time in 50 years since 1962. It has also been voted #8 in the directors' poll.3
- List of Academy Award-winning films
- List of highest-grossing films
- List of film-related topics
- List of films with a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes
- List of films considered the worst
- National Film Registry
- AFI 100 Years... series
- Time's All-Time 100 Movies
- List of songs considered the best
- BFI The Top 50 Greatest Films of All Time
- List of video games considered the best
- "'Citizen Kane' fave film of movie elite". rogerebert.com. Retrieved 2008-01-01.
- "Sight & Sound – Top ten". Retrieved 2010-08-18.
- Blauvelt, Christian (1 August 2012). "'Citizen Kane' no longer tops 'Sight & Sound' poll of the greatest films ever made: What now ranks as No. 1?". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2 August 2012.
- "Directors' vote: Yasujiro Ozu's 1953 'Tokyo Story' greatest film ever made". Japan Times. 4 August 2012. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- Władysław Jewsiewicki: "Kronika kinematografii światowej 1895-1964", Warsaw 1967, no ISBN, page 129 (in Polish)
- "The History of Cinema: 1958 – Albania – Ireland". http://www.moviemoviesite.com/. Retrieved 2012-04-02.
- "The Greatest: A "First" Best Chance". http://www.fandor.com. Retrieved 2012-04-02.
- "Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Ukraine – Films". http://www.mfa.gov.ua/. Retrieved 2012-04-02.
- "The Great Escape: La Grande Illusion". http://www.bfi.org.uk/. Retrieved 2012-04-11.
- "Los Angeles Daily News film poll (1997)". Filmsite.org. 1997-12-03. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- 100 Must-See Films Of The 20th Century, Part 1, by Leonard Maltin at filmsite.org
- "100 Greatest Screenplays". WGAW. Retrieved 2009-09-16.
- Corso, Regina A. (February 21, 2008). "Frankly My Dear, The Force is With Them as Gone With the Wind and Star Wars are the Top Two All Time Favorite Movies" (PDF) (Press release). Harris Interactive. Retrieved July 13, 2014.
- Shannon-Missal, Larry (December 17, 2014). "Gone but Not Forgotten: Gone with the Wind is Still America's Favorite Movie" (Press release). Harris Interactive. Retrieved February 13, 2015.
- Best in Film – Greatest Retrieved 2011-03-24
- ebroadcast.com.au, ASIA PACIFIC SCREEN AWARDS WINNERS ANNOUNCEDdead link
- "in.reuters.com, Kazakh comedy wins Asia-Pacific best movie award". In.reuters.com. 2008-11-11. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- Michael Bodey (2008-11-12). "theaustralian.news.com.au, Balloon Grabs Asia-Pac Screen Award". Theaustralian.news.com.au. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "gmanews.tv/story, Himala is CNN best film of all time in Asia-Pacific". Gmanews.tv. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "Lists". Film Journey. Retrieved 2009-05-29.
- "Magische Filmmomente Top 100 Filme anno 2000 News & Specials.Alle Specials". Cinema.de. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "Star Wars voted best film ever". BBC News. 2001-11-26. Retrieved 2010-03-26.
- "Total Film Presents the Top 100 Movies of All Time". Totalfilm.com. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "Empire's Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back Movie Review". Empireonline.com. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- Top Rated "Sci-Fi" Titles at IMDb. Retrieved 2009-10-26
- "posting about Entertainment Weekly's book". Filmsite.org. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "posting about Time out reader's poll". Filmsite.org. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "Empire Online". Empire Online. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "AFI's 10 Top 10". American Film Institute. 2008-06-17. Retrieved 2008-11-16.
- "Hollywood's 100 Favorite Films". The Hollywood Reporter. June 25, 2014. Retrieved July 3, 2014.
- Best of Drama at Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2009-10-27
- "Top 25 Crime Movies of All-Time". IGN.com. 2011-05-16. Retrieved 2014-07-14.
- "50 Greatest Movies From TV Guide (part 1) - 10awesome.com". 10awesome.com.
- "(german)". presseportal.de. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- Empire's 500 Greatest Movies of All Time at cinemarealm.com
- "Shawshank leads Oscar losers poll". BBC NEWS. 2008-02-24. Retrieved 2009-09-18.
- "Official Top Movie List". filmcrave.com. Retrieved 2009-01-14.
- IMDb Top 250: Top 250 movies as voted by our users at the Internet Movie Database
- "The Shawshank Redemption - Rotten Tomatoes". Retrieved 26 March 2014.
- "Rotten Tomatoes best reviewed action movies.". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved November 2, 2011.
- Parish, Larry. "Top 10: Asian Martial Arts Movies". AskMen. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "Top 10 Best Martial Arts Movies". Spike. April 10, 2008. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- Mwangaguhunga, Ron (June 28, 2012). "The five greatest Martial Arts movies". IFC. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- Winning, Josh (June 6, 2011). "The 36th Chamber Of Shaolin (1978)". 50 Greatest Kung Fu Movies. Total Film. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- Smith, Alexander (November 13, 2011). "Kung Fu Fighting: The 10 Best Martial-Arts Movies". Paste. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "Readers Top Rated: Your rankings of our ALL-TIME best films". Time Magazine. 2005-02-12. Retrieved 2009-05-22.
- Reid, Craig D. (April 4, 2011). "Top 20 Martial Arts Films of All Time". Black Belt. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- Lambrechts, Stephen (January 30, 2012). "Asian Cinema's 20 Greatest Fight Scenes". IGN. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- Best in Film – Action Retrieved 2011-03-24
- "The 25 best action movies". Moviefone.com. Retrieved November 2, 2011.
- "The top ten of 25 action films". IGN. Retrieved November 2, 2011.
- "Terminator joins movie archive". BBC. December 30, 2008. Retrieved December 30, 2008.
- "Die Hard is #1 according to Pajiba.com". Pajiba.com. Retrieved November 2, 2011.
- "Visual and Special Effects Film Milestones". Filmsite.org. Retrieved 2007-07-15.
- Bernardin, Marc (2007-06-18). "Aliens is #2". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved November 2, 2011.
- ""Die Hard" tops magazine list of best action films". Reuters. 2007-06-15.
- "Readers polls". Rolling Stone.
- "The 100 Best action movies".
- "50 Reasons Why Die Hard Is The Greatest Action Movie Of All Time".
- "http://entertainment.time.com/2011/06/23/the-25-all-time-best-animated-films/#pinocchio-1940-2". Time (magazine) entertainment. 2011-06-23. Retrieved November 3, 2011.
- Harvey Deneroff. "The Olympiad of Animation: An Interview With Fini Littlejohn". Animation World Magazine. Retrieved 2011-08-11.
- "Best Anime Ranking". 2007-06-22. Retrieved 2014-07-14.
- "My neighbor Totoro is #1 by Time Out.". Time Out. Retrieved November 3, 2011.
- "Akira as #1 anime movie.". Movie Cricket. Retrieved November 3, 2011.
- "Ten best anime movies of all time.". Screen Junkies. Retrieved November 3, 2011.
- "Top 100 Anime & Manga Movies". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "The 50 greatest World War II movies: part five". Time Out. Retrieved 24 February 2012.
- "6 – Grave Of The Fireflies (1988)". The Top 10 Depressing Movies. Empire. Retrieved 24 February 2012.
- Who Framed Roger Rabbit at Rotten Tomatoes
- Schwarzbaum, Lisa; Gleiberman, Owen (2011-04-01). "Who Framed Roger Rabbit is #1". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved November 2, 2011.
- Pirrello, Phil; Eric Goldman, Matt Fowler, Scott Collura, Cindy White and Jesse Schedeen. "Top 25 Animated Movies of All-Time", IGN
- Best in Film – Animated Retrieved 2011-03-24
- Top 100 Animated Features of All Time.
- "Best animated movies (5-1)". Moviefone. Retrieved November 3, 2011.
- "Toy Story is #1.". Total Film. Retrieved November 3, 2011.
- Best Animated Films
- Best of Kids/Family at Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2009-10-27
- "MRQE's Best CGI-Animated Movies". Mrqe.com. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- Toy Story at Rotten Tomatoes
- Toy Story 2 at Rotten Tomatoes
- "Spirited Away". The 100 Best Films Of World Cinema. Empire. Retrieved 27 February 2012.
- "2002 Sight & Sound Top Films Survey of 253 International Critics & Film Directors". Cinemacom. 2002. Retrieved 2009-04-19.
- Bernardin, Marc (2012-08-01). "Wall-E is #1.". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved November 3, 2011.
- Review: 'The Wind Rises'. Film.com. Retrieved on 2014-05-12.
- "Best Christmas Movies (5-1)". AOL moviefone. Retrieved 2011-03-20.
- "Top 25 Holiday Movies of All-Time". IGN.com. Retrieved 2011-03-20.
- "MRQE's Best Holiday Movies". Mrqe.com. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- dead link
- "The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993): Rank 1". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2008-12-20.
- "The 30 Best Christmas Movies Ever". Empireonline.com. Retrieved 2011-04-26.
- "Die Hard (1988): Rank 4". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2010-04-29.dead link
- Best in Film – Comedy Retrieved 2011-03-24
- "Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb on rottentomatoes.com".
- "Movie Releases by Score." Metacritic.com. Accessed February 2012.
- "Top 25 Comedies of All-Time." IGN Movies. Accessed February 2012.
- Python's Grail 'best Brit film'. BBC News (2004-2-12)
- "Life of Brian tops comedy poll". BBC News. September 29, 2000. Retrieved 2007-04-03.
- "Life of Brian named best comedy". BBC News. 2006-01-01. Retrieved 2010-05-02.
- French, Philip (2007-07-22). "The last laugh: your favourite 50". The Guardian (London). Retrieved 2010-05-02.
- "Bravo's "100 Funniest Movies" on Lists of Bests". Listsofbests.com. 2006-06-02. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- dead link
- "MRQE's Best of Comics & Superheroes". Mrqe.com. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "Top 30 Comic Book Movies". Film4. Retrieved July 14, 2014.
- "50 Greatest Comic Book Movies". Total Film. Retrieved July 14, 2014.
- "The 50 Best Comic Book Movies". Complex. 2011-01-18. Retrieved 2014-07-14.
- "10 BEST Comic Book-Based Movies of ALL TIME". Newsarama. Retrieved July 4, 2012.
- "Readers' Poll: The 15 Greatest Superhero Movies". Rolling Stone. Retrieved June 13, 2014.
- "Best Comix Countdown 2012". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved August 17, 2012.
- "Comics and Graphic Novel vs. The Critic". 2010. Retrieved July 14, 2014.
- "Superhero Movies". Retrieved June 13, 2014.
- "Top 25 Superhero Films of all-Time pt. 5". IGN. October 24, 2011. Retrieved July 14, 2014.
- "Top 10 superhero movies". The Guardian. 2013-11-04. Retrieved June 13, 2014.
- Tony Owusu (2014-06-09). "The 10 Greatest Superhero Movies of All Time". TheStreet.com. Retrieved June 13, 2014.
- Mark Hughes (2012-08-22). "The New Top 20 Best Comic Book Superhero Films Of All Time - Revised Edition". Forbes. Retrieved June 13, 2014.
- "Best live-action movies based on comics and anime". Goo. 2011. Archived from the original on 4 August 2012. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "Empire: Features". Empireonline.com. Archived from the original on 14 December 2013. Retrieved 13 March 2009.
- "The 100 Best Films Of World Cinema". Archived from the original on 14 October 2013.
- "CNN: 'Himala' best Asian film in history – INQUIRER.net, Philippine News for Filipinos". Showbizandstyle.inquirer.net. Retrieved 2010-03-27.
- "Top 50 Superhero Movies Of All Time: 2012 Edition". SFX. Retrieved August 17, 2012.
- Cruz, Gilbert (2011-06-03). "Time magazine's #1 pick.". Time (magazine). Retrieved June 7, 2011.
- Peter Hartlaub (2014-05-29). "Updating the best superhero films of all time". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved June 13, 2014.
- Bernardin, Marc (2012-08-01). "Best Animated Movies Ever". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved July 14, 2011.
- "Comix Worst to Best". Rotten Tomatoes. 2007.
- "Empire Features". Empireonline.com. 2006-12-05. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "AFI's 10 Top 10 Courtroom Drama". American Film Institute. 2008-06-17. Retrieved 2014-11-29.
- "Top 100 Movies of All Times". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2014-11-29.
- Philip French. "Chinatown: the best crime film of all time". The Guardian. Retrieved 2014-07-14.
- Jun 18, 2007 (2007-06-18). "The New Classics: Movies". EW.com. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- "Poseidon Adventure tops film poll". BBC News. 2004-05-17. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "Critics' 50 Greatest Documentaries of All Time". BFI. Retrieved 2015-02-27.
- "International Documentary Association Top Twenty Documentaries of All-Time". Central Washington University — Brooks Library (at Archive.org). Archived from the original on 2008-02-13. Retrieved 2009-09-18.
- ""Bowling for Columbine" Named Best Documentary Film". About.com. December 12, 2002. Retrieved 2009-09-18.
- "IDA Lists Its Top 25 Documentaries". The Documentary Blog. 2007-10-05. Retrieved 2012-02-07.
- "Grey Gardens (1976) (Review)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2013-11-22.
- Dirks, Tim. "Top Films of All-Time, Part 2", Filmsite, 2010.
- Wilmington, Michael. "Movie review, 'The Last Waltz'". Chicago Tribune. Archived from the original on January 20, 2008. Retrieved 2007-01-07.
- "The Last Waltz". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2007-01-08.
- "The 25 best sci-fi and fantasy films of all time: the full list". The Guardian. 21 October 2010. Retrieved 9 August 2012.
- "50 Best High School Movies". Film Site. Retrieved 2011-12-25.
- Laurie H. Hutzler. "John Hughes and the Coming of Age Films". emotionaltoolbox.com. Retrieved January 6, 2012.
- "13 Best Movies About High School". Newsweek/The Daily Beast. Retrieved 2011-12-26.
- "Best High School Films of All Time". moviefone. Retrieved 2011-12-26.
- "Top 50 Scariest Horror Movies". The Boston Globe. 2011-10-25. Retrieved 4 August 2011.
- "TMA's 25 Greatest Horror Movies of All Time". The Moving Arts Film Journal. 2010-08-25. Retrieved 4 August 2010.
- "AMC Poll: The Exorcist Scariest Movie". Multichannel News. 2006-10-23. Retrieved 2008-11-30.
- Best in Film – Horror Retrieved 2011-03-24
- "AFI's 100 years... 100 thrills" (PDF). American Film Institute. 2001. Retrieved 2009-12-07.
- Top Rated "Horror" Titles at IMDb. Retrieved 2009-10-26
- Rotten Tomatoes: Best Horror Movies Retrieved 2010-03-17
- The 100 Scariest Movie Moments, BravoTV.com at archive.org
- "Jaws Movie Reviews, Pictures". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2011-07-12.
- "Texas Massacre tops horror poll". BBC News. 2005-10-09. Retrieved 22 November 2009.
- Best in Film – Thriller Retrieved 2011-03-24
- 25 Best Musicalsdead link
- Top Rated "Musical" Titles at IMDb. Retrieved 2009-10-26
- "West Side Story Tops Best Movie Musical". Starpulse.com. 2007-02-19. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- Best in Film – Musical Retrieved 2011-03-24
- Best of Mystery/Suspense at Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2010-07-25
- Best Film – Political Retrieved 2011-03-24
- "Battleship Potemkin". Retrieved 2010-11-28.
- What's the Big Deal?: Battleship Potemkin (1925). Retrieved November 28, 2010.
- "Battleship Potemkin by Roger Ebert". Retrieved 2010-11-28.
- "Top Films of All-Time". Retrieved 2010-11-28.
- Harding, Luke (2003-09-10). "Leni Riefenstahl, Hitler's favourite film propagandist, dies at 101". The Guardian (London). Retrieved 2010-05-02.
- "The Vatican Movie List". Cinepad.com. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- dead link
- Top Rated "Romance" Titles at IMDb. Retrieved 2009-10-26
- "2001: A Space Odyssey Named the Greatest Sci-Fi Film of All Time By the Online Film Critics Society". Online Film Critics Society. Retrieved 2006-12-15.
- Catherine Shoard (21 October 2010). "C2001: A Space Odyssey: the best sci-fi and fantasy film of all time". The Guardian. Retrieved 2014-07-14.
- Alok Jha, science correspondent (2004-08-26). "Scientists vote Blade Runner best sci-fi film of all time". Guardian. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- George, Alison (1 October 2008). "New Scientist's favourite sci-fi film". New Scientist. Reed Business Information. Retrieved 2008-11-28.
- George, Alison (12 November 2008). "Sci-fi special: Your all-time favourite science fiction". New Scientist (Reed Business Information) (2682).
- "ET named top Sci-Fi Movie". Rottentomatoes.com. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- O'Neill, Phelim (21 October 2010). "Akira: No 22 best sci-fi and fantasy film of all time". The Guardian. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "Akira". Top 50 Science Fiction Films. Film4. 2011. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- Barone, Matt (June 8, 2011). "27. Akira (1988)". The 50 Best Sci-Fi Movies. Complex. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- Yegulalp, Serdar. "Great Science Fiction Anime". About.com. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "'Rocky' voted greatest ever sports movie by Digital Spy readers". Digital Spy. 27 July 2012. Retrieved 26 August 2012.
- Top Rated "Sport" Titles at the Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 2009-10-26
- "Top Sports Movies". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2010-08-09.
- "Top 100 Sports & Fitness Movies". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 28 September 2014.
- "The 50 Greatest Sports Movies". Empire Magazine. Retrieved 28 September 2014.
- "MRQE's Best Military Movies". Mrqe.com. 1993-10-03. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "25 Best War Movies". Moviefone. AOL. Retrieved June 2, 2011.
- "Top 10 war movies". The Guardian. Guardian Media Group. October 23, 2013. Retrieved November 1, 2013.
- "Film 4: 50 films to see before you die". Film4. Listal.com. March 5, 2008. Retrieved November 1, 2013.
- Jenkins, David (July 2009). "The 50 greatest World War II movies: part six". Time Out Magazine. Time Out. Retrieved November 1, 2013.
- "100 Greatest War Films". Channel 4. Channel Four Television Corporation. Retrieved November 1, 2013.
- Best in film – Western Retrieved 2011-03-24
- "Top 10 Western Movies". YouTube. 7 April 2014.
- "Osama (2003)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved July 14, 2010.
- Osama at Box Office Mojo
- "The Sweetest Mango at IMDb". Retrieved 20 May 2015.
- "Redemption of Paradise won awards". Retrieved 20 May 2015.
- "IMDb: Highest Rated Spanish-Language Feature Films With At Least 10,000 Votes". Us.imdb.com. 2013-05-20. Retrieved 2013-05-20.
- "Rotten Tomatoes - Nine Queens". Retrieved 02/09/2014. Check date values in:
- "Abo So at Belize". Retrieved 20 May 2015.
- "Abo So (2013)". Retrieved 20 May 2015.
- "The Picnic at Hanging Rock". Moria.co.nz. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "Australia's Favourite Film". Australian Film Institute. Retrieved 2014-07-15.
- Leigh Paatsch (2008-07-24). "Leigh Paatsch picks his top 30 Australian films". Herald Sun. Retrieved 2014-07-15.
- Evan Williams (2014-06-13). "Evan Williams lists his top 10 Aussie films of the past 50 years". The Australian. Retrieved 2014-07-15.
- "The Clay Bird (Matir Moina) (2003)". BBC.
- "Top 10 Bangladeshi Films". British Film Institute. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- "Le cinéma belge était à l'honneur lors de la Première édition des Magritte du cinéma belge francophone". Moniteur du film (in French). Retrieved January 9, 2012.
- "A single man, Grand Prix 2011 de l'UCC". Moniteur du film (in French). Retrieved January 9, 2012.
- "Mr. Nobody, best Belgian film of the year!". Wallimage. September 13, 2010. Retrieved January 15, 2012.
- Best of Foreign at Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2009-10-27
- "The 100 Best Films Of World Cinema – 7. City of God". Empire.
- Cidade de Deus (2002) at the Internet Movie Database
- Tose, Juliano. "contracampo – revista de cinema" (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2008-02-06.
- Steve Gravestock, "Essay," TIFF.net, URL accessed 24 April 2015.
- "Top 10 Canadian Films of All Time," The Canadian Encyclopedia, URL accessed 17 March 2013
- Playback :: Egoyan tops Canada's all-time best movies listdead link
- "Playback Magazine: Top 15 Canadian Films of the Past 15 Years." Alex Fung. Accessed February 2012.
- "100 Best Films – Village Voice". Filmsite.org. 2000-01-04. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "Marketa Lazarová". kfilmu.net. 2009-12-19. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- "Českým filmem dvacetiletí jsou Hřebejkovy Pelíšky, černým koně byl Jan Svěrák". Hospodářské Noviny. Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- "Pouta získala pět nových cen české filmové kritiky". Aktualne.cz. Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- "ANKETA: Nejlepším českým němým filmem je Erotikon". Tyden.cz. Retrieved 28 June 2015.
- "Memoria Chilena - Presentación". Memoriachilena.cl. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- The 100 best Mainland Chinese Films: the full list TimeOut Beijing (4 April 2014)
- Greatest Chinese Films of the 20th Century as chosen by Asia Weekly Magazine
- Jensen, Bo Green, De 25 bedste danske film, Rosinante, 2002
- Sørensen, Sola Kruchov. "Det er en syg høne, der har lagt det æg", Ekstra Bladet, 3 August 2007.
- "Tallinnfilm". Tallinnfilm.ee. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- Jyrki Räikkä Kirjoittaja on kulttuuritoimittaja. (2007-05-28). "Tuntematon sotilas on lukijoiden mielestä yhä paras – HS.fi – Kulttuuri". HS.fi. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "Talvisota (1989) – IMDb". Us.imdb.com. 2009-05-01. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- French films glow with confidence and culture. Ours should do the same, The Guardian, 8 August 2010.
- "M (1931)". imdb.com. Retrieved May 28, 2010.
- "Welcome to the Hong Kong Film Awards". 2004. Retrieved 2007-04-04.
- Edmund Lee (14 Mar 2012). "The 100 Greatest Hong Kong Films". Time Out. Retrieved July 15, 2014.
- Mou gaan dou (2002) at the Internet Movie Database
- The Departed (2006) at the Internet Movie Database
- "Budapesti 12". Sulinet.hu. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "Sátántangó (1994)". British Film Institute. September 2012. Retrieved May 11, 2015.
- "Werckmeister Harmonies, The (2000)". British Film Institute. September 2012. Retrieved May 11, 2015.
- "Children of Nature". Retrieved 1 April 2015.
- Aaron and Mark Caldwell (2004). "Sight and Sound". Top 100 Movie Lists. Archived from the original on 2009-07-29. Retrieved 2009-04-19.
- "Take One: The First Annual Village Voice Film Critics' Poll". The Village Voice. 1999. Archived from the original on 2007-08-26. Retrieved 2006-07-27.
- "100 Best Films of the 20th Century". Filmsite.org. 2001. Retrieved 2009-03-14.
- "The Sight & Sound Top Ten Poll: 1992". British Film Institute. Retrieved 2009-03-15.
- "SUMMARY OF TOP FILMS OF ALL-TIME". Filmsite.org. Retrieved 2009-03-14.
- "Sight & Sound Top Ten Poll 2002: The rest of the critics' list". Sight & Sound. British Film Institute. Retrieved 2009-04-24.
- Ivana Redwine. ""Apu Trilogy" DVD Review". About.com. Retrieved 2009-03-14.
- "SIGHT AND SOUND 1982 RANKING OF FILMS". Archived from the original on 2009-10-22. Retrieved 2009-05-29.
- "'Mayabazar' is India's greatest film ever: IBNLive poll". Ibnlive.in.com. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- "Friday Review Hyderabad : `Maya Bazaar' forever!". The Hindu. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- "Articles : Movie Retrospect : Mayabazar (1957) - Retro". Telugucinema.com. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- "Of Bhool Bhulaiya, and a classic dumbed down". Rediff.com. October 16, 2007. Retrieved May 24, 2013.
- "Top 10 Indian Films". British Film Institute. 2002. Archived from the original on 2011-05-15. Retrieved 2009-03-14.
- "The 100 Best Films Of World Cinema". Empire. Retrieved 2011-08-09.
- Corliss, Richard (2011-09-22). "'Lagaan' (2001) – TIME's 25 Favorite Sports-Related Movies". TIME. Retrieved 2011-09-26.
- "Review (Filmi Geek)". filmigeek.com. 6 October 2006. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- Ramchandani, Avinash. "Film Review — Hum Aapke Hain Kaun (Planet Bollywood)". Indolink.com. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- "Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge:Critics' Reviews". movies.msn.com. Retrieved 24 October 2011.
- "1001 Series". Retrieved 22 November 2010.
- "Yesterday once more: From the Filmfare files...reviews from the 1960s". Filmfare Print Edition. Archived from the original on 7 September 2007. Retrieved 16 August 2013.
- Picture world (Donyaye tassvir), No. 74, November 1999, ISSN: 1023-2613
- 24 Press Release July 14, 2005dead link
- "מהו הסרט הישראלי הטוב ביותר? - כתבות - מדור סרטים - עכבר העיר". Mouse.co.il. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- "poll". Ynet.co.il. 1995-06-20. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "Entertainment Weekly's 100 Greatest Movies of All Time.". Retrieved October 17, 2010.
- "Critics' Top Tem Poll". bfi.org.uk. Retrieved July 29, 2010.
- Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo. (1966) at the Internet Movie Database
- "Directors' Top Ten Poll". Sight & Sound. Retrieved 2009-03-30.
- Shichinin no samurai (1954) at the Internet Movie Database
- "The Sight & Sound Top Ten Poll: 1982". Sight & Sound. Retrieved 2009-03-30.
- "The Sight & Sound Top Ten Poll: 1992". Sight & Sound. Retrieved 2009-03-30.
- "The Top 50 Greatest Films of All Time". Sight & Sound. British Film Institute. 1 August 2012. Retrieved 5 August 2012.
- "Seven Samurai". Film Forum. Retrieved 2009-05-29.
- "1. Seven Samurai". The 100 Best Films Of World Cinema. Empire. 2010. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "Critics' Top Ten Poll". Sight & Sound. Retrieved 2009-03-30.
- Bradshaw, Peter (2005-06-10). "The quiet master". The Guardian (London). Retrieved 2010-05-02.
- "Sight and Sound Poll 1962: Critics". California Institute of Technology. Retrieved 2009-05-29.
- "Sight and Sound Poll 1972: Critics". California Institute of Technology. Retrieved 2009-05-29.
- "Latvijas Kultūras Kanons". kulturaskanons.lv.
- "Mali". Mubi.com. Retrieved 28 June 2015.
- "The 100 Best Films Of World Cinema - 5. Pan's Labyrinth". Empire.
- Plaats commentaar Log in om te reageren. "NFF 2008: beste Nederlandse film aller tijden" (in Dutch). Cinema.nl. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "Norsk film i 100". 2005-10-23.dead link
- "Top 10 Pakistani Films". British Film Institute. 2002. Retrieved 2009-03-14.
- "User Poll: Pakistani Top 10". British Film Institute. 2002. Retrieved 2009-03-15.
- "Yahoo! Groups". Movies.groups.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "Bulatlat.com". Bulatlat.com. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "Pinoy Rebyu". pinoyrebyu.wordpress.com. May 7, 2013. Retrieved 2013-09-27.
- Stopklatka, http://www.stopklatka.pl. ""The Best Polish Film of the Last 30 Years" (results of the poll by "Cinema", "Esensja" and "Stopklatka.pl") (in Polish)"". Stopklatka.pl. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "50 najlepszych polskich filmów wszech czasów" (in Polish). Stopklatka.pl. Retrieved 2014-05-17.
- "50. najlepszych polskich filmów wszech czasów" (in Polish). Stopklatka.pl. Retrieved 2014-05-17.
- "Top 100 Polskie filmy – Katalog" (in Polish). Filmweb.pl. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "Top 100 Polskie filmy – Katalog" (in Polish). Filmweb.pl. Retrieved 2014-05-17.
- "Top 100 Polskie filmy – Katalog" (in Polish). Filmweb.pl. Retrieved 2015-07-09.
- "Najlepsze polskie filmy ostatniego 25-lecia: to Wy wybraliście!" (in Polish). Onet.pl. Retrieved 2015-07-10.
- "Cele mai bune 10 filme romanesti (?!)". Dob.ro. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "Serbian Film Production – Feature Films". Whiteangelmedia.com. 1950-07-01. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "UNDERGROUND". Festival de Cannes.
- ttys12 (29 August 2013). "Ilo Ilo (2013)". IMDb.
- Loh, Genevieve (27 May 2013). "Ilo Ilo is first S'pore film to win at Cannes". Today. Retrieved 22 June 2013.
- "TOP 10 CESKO-SLOVENSKEHO HRANEHO FILMU". Mestska kina Uherske Hradiste (in Czech). 1998. Archived from the original on 2 October 1999.
- "Obchod na korze, jediný slovenský oscarový film, ktorý neprávom upadá do zabudnutia". FilmKult. Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- Horton, Andrew James. "Just Who Owns the Shop? Identity and Nationality in Obchod na korze". sense of cinema. Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- Štamcar, Miha (2012-03-24). "Najboljši slovenski filmi vseh časov". Dnevnik. Retrieved 2014-04-07.
- Min, Eungjun; Joo Jinsook; Kwak HanJu (2003). Korean Film : History, Resistance, and Democratic Imagination. Westport, Connecticut: Praeger Publishers. p. 46. ISBN 0-275-95811-6.
Hyunmok Yu's 1961 film Obaltan (Aimless Bullet) was the most critically acclaimed film after the Liberation, often called the best Korean film ever made.
- "The 100 Best Films Of World Cinema - 18. Oldboy". Empire.
- Oldboy at the Internet Movie Database
- "Awards 2004". Festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- Las 50 mejores películas españolas de la historia " CINEMAADHOC. Cinemaadhoc.info (2013-03-10). Retrieved on 2014-05-12.
- "Top 10 Sri Lankan Films". British Film Institute. 2002. Retrieved 2009-03-14.
- "User Poll: Sri Lankan Top 10". British Film Institute. 2002. Retrieved 2009-03-15.
- "De 25 bästa svenska filmerna genom tiderna" (in Swedish). 30 August 2012. Retrieved 2 May 2014.
- ""Körkarlen" bästa filmen" (in Swedish). 31 August 2012. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "'En İyi On Türk Filmi' belirlendi". Arsiv.ntvmsnbc.com. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Ukraine – Films". http://www.mfa.gov.ua/. Retrieved 2012-04-02.
- "Features | The BFI 100 | 1-10". BFI. 2006-09-06. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- Hastings, Chris; Govan, Fiona (2004-08-15). "Stars vote Lawrence of Arabia the best British film of all time". The Daily Telegraph (London). Retrieved 2010-05-02.
- "Get Carter tops British film poll". BBC News. 2004-10-03. Retrieved 2010-05-02.
- Calhoun, Dave; Tom Huddleston, David Jenkins, Derek Adams, Geoff Andrew, Adam Lee Davies, Gareth Evans, Paul Fairclough and Wally Hammond. "The 100 best British films", Time Out London, March 2011.
- "Trainspotting: The best British films 1984-2009". The Guardian (London). 2009-08-30.
- AFI told their jury to consider "Movies that inspire with characters of vision and conviction who face adversity and often make a personal sacrifice for the greater good. Whether these movies end happily or not, they are ultimately triumphant—both filling audiences with hope and empowering them with the spirit of human potential."
- American Film Institute's 100 Years, 100 Movies
- BFI List of top 100 British movies
- Sight and Sound magazine best films of all time polls
- Village Voice 250 Best films of the 20th century list (from Archive.org)
- 1000 films
- IMDb Top 250
- Rotten Tomatoes Top 100 Movies
Return to Fuhz Home - This article covering Films considered the greatest ever is enhanced for the visually impaired.
The text of this Fuhz article is released under the GNU Free Documentation License